any deals been organised with airlines regarding flights to South Africa?
No, we have not. Please contact your own local travel agency for flight arrangements.
Which airport will I be flying into?
Delegates flying in to attend the Eskom African Business Leaders Forum will be traveling to Johannesburg International Airport (JIA).
Do I need insurance?
advised to obtain travel, medical, personal accident and luggage insurance, prior to your departure to South Africa. The registration fee does not include any form of insurance cover.
What about passport/visa requirements?
To gain admission into South Africa, it is necessary to be in possession of a valid passport and visa, if you are a citizen of a country in which visa control is applicable.
South African Missions abroad have been authorized to
issue visas to delegates attending the Eskom African Business Leaders Forum on application, provided a letter of invitation is submitted with the application.
Please note that ten (10) days are required to process visa applications.
Where to apply for a visa:
- At the nearest or most conveniently situated South African diplomatic or consular representative.
- In countries where South Africa is not represented, delegates must forward their applications to the
nearest South African embassies or consular in neighbouring countries. Please note that this process may take long, therefore, applications must be submitted long in advance.
- Visas CANNOT be applied for at South African ports of entry. People subject to visa control, who arrive without visas will unfortunately not be permitted to enter South Africa.
What to submit:
- Valid passports must accompany the applications when submitted at a South African diplomatic or consular
- Two passport-sized photographs (head and shoulders)
- Visa fee, if applicable
- Air ticket
- For business visa (as in Eskom African Business Leaders Forum), a letter of invitation from the South African company to be visited as well as a letter from the company which the applicant represents (your company) must accompany the application.
- Delegates may email [email protected] or [email protected] to request invitation letters. Please include your first name, last name, passport number, date of issue and date of expiry.
Duration and purpose of stay:
- The period of residence in South Africa is not determined by the visa but by the temporary residence permit, which is issued on arrival at the port of entry. Please ensure that you request the full duration of your intended visit as
extensions are subject to additional fees.
- Also make sure that you apply for the correct visa/permit, as the purpose of stay may not be changed once in South Africa.
Or visit http://home-affairs.pwv.gov.za to obtain the following information:
- Countries whose passport holders are subject to South African visas
- Countries whose passport holders are subject to visa application fees
- Countries whose passport holders are
exempt from visas
You may also visit the above-mentioned website for any additional information you may require regarding visa applications.
If I need a visa invitation letter, where do I get one?
If you need an invitation letter to apply for a visa, please contact the Registration Team on the numbers below and they will be happy to provide one.
Tel: +27 11 807 0948
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]
How do I book my hotel?
You are responsible for making your own hotel arrangements. We have secured rooms at The Hilton, Sandton Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn Garden Court Sandton and Holiday Inn Garden Court Morningside for our delegates. Please note that rooms we have reserved will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.
Therefore the sooner you book the better. For more information, please refer to the Hotel Information page.
What should I know about currency?
The local currency is South African Rands (ZAR). The exchange rate from USD to ZAR is approximately $1 = R6.86. The rate is subject to currency fluctuations. For latest
exchange rates go to www.oanda.com
American Express Foreign Exchange is situated in the Sandton City shopping mall. A passport will be required for all foreign exchange transactions.
Should I be aware of health precautions?
Immunisation for Yellow Fever is an entry requirement if the journey starts or entails passing through the yellow fever belt of Africa or South America. Please refer to the table below, which gives an indication of which countries fall within the
Yellow fever countries
|Africa||South America |
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of Congo
Sao Tome & Principe
Visas will not be issued if this
requirement is not met.
Should I be aware of any security issues?
It is always safer to err on the side of caution and we recommend that delegates utilise hotel safes for valuable items.
What language is spoken in South Africa?
Although there are 11 official languages in South Africa, English is the main language used for communication.
What's the weather like in Johannesburg in November?28 Degrees Celsius and it does get a little chilly in the evenings. Spring and summer are also rainy seasons in SA.
November is the last month of spring in South Africa. Temperatures are warm as we're approaching summer. Day temperatures are between 25
Can we suggest any car hire companies?
|Company||Toll Free number||Telephone Number|
|Imperial Car Hire||0800 118 898||+ 27 11 784 1452|
|Budget Car Hire||0860 016 622||+ 27 11 392 3929|
|Avis Car Hire||0861 021 111||+ 27 11 394 5433|
What about the electrical supply in South Africa?
The electric voltage is 220 volts. A standard voltage converter and plug adapter should be sufficient for conversions.
What are the telephone codes?
The dialing code to dial out of South Africa is "09" followed by the country code and telephone number,
e.g. 09 44 161 234-5678 to call Manchester in the UK.
To dial into South Africa, the country code is "27", therefore to call the Registration Team,
you would dial
+27 11 807 0948.
What is the time zone in South Africa?
South Africa follows Greenwich Mean Time + 2 hours.
Delegates who wish to arrange their individual transfers please contact:
Tel: 011 7637739
Fax: 011 7637738
Cell: 083 456 8681