Daily News  :: East Africa


Ethiopia empowers 100ha industrial zone  | Ethiopia has earmarked 100ha of land in Semera for an industrial zone, the works and urban development bureau said.

Ethiopia’s cement shortage gets $130mn injection | An Ethiopian firm has signed a $130mn agreement with a Chinese company to ensure that the East African nation’s demand for cement was met.

Lions miss out on Ethiopia's tourism growth | Despite Africa recording the World’s fastest tourist growth for the second year running, and Ethiopia showing good progress too, one of the East Africa country’s zoos has had to cull rare lions to make ends meet.

Ethiopia gets a shot in the arm

Published: 15-DEC-06

Addis Ababa - The African Development Bank (AfDB) Group said on Wednesday that it would support the Ethiopian governments’ proposal to upgrade the Jima-Mizan road in the South-Western part of the country with a loan of about $98mn. This was approved on Wednesday by the Board of Directors of the African Development Fund (ADF), the concessional window of the AfDB Group.

The Jima-Mizan Road Upgrading Project, which covers a distance of 227.18km, aims at improving transportation services between the towns of Jima and Mizan and facilitating market integration with the rest of the country and abroad.

It is expected that improving the efficiency and capacity of the transport system will enhance social and economic development programmes in Ethiopia in a sustainable way, the AfDB said in a release.

The immediate beneficiaries of the project will be the populations living within the project area, especially traders who will gain wider access to markets for their goods.

Given the dominance of agricultural activities in the area, farmers will also benefit from the road that will make it more convenient to convey their produce to the markets.

The upgraded and all-weather road between Jima and Mizan Teferi forms the main trunk link road for exporting coffee from Keffa.

Livestock farmers will also benefit as improved road surfaces make it possible to provide extension services to the project area.

Other beneficiaries will be landowners, local and district authorities, NGOs and other community-based organizations.

The project cost estimate is 101.53 million Units of Account (UA), which is equal to $101.53mn. The ADF loan will finance 64.02 percent of the project, while the Ethiopian government will provide the remaining 35.98 percent of project cost.-panapress

Print this page Send this article to a friend

Market news on your cellphone
Get live JSE listed shares, warrants, major indices, brent crude oil, international markets, agricultural futures & daily market analysis via SMS on your mobile.
Find out more...

Energy in Africa
Energy in Africa is an intelligent and in-depth look at how energy impacts people, places, projects, price and development around the African continent.
Subscribe now...

African Business Leaders Forum
African business and public sector leaders define and construct a prosperous future for the continent.
Find out more...

Online travel bookings
Planning to travel? Book accommodation in Africa & South Africa here.
Book now...

Contact us | Advertising | Subscriptions | Newsletter | About us | Employee Email

All material copyright Business in Africa. All rights reserved. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission. Read these terms & conditions. Read our privacy statement and security statement. Powered by Mail & Guardian Online & iafrica.com. The domains businessinafrica.net, energyinafrica.net are owned by Business in Africa.